Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 4 - Osoyoos to Grand Forks 132 km

Breakfast in Osoyoos before we left for our trek up the mountain. The gentleman on the left is Chris Parker, who coordinates Kinsmen and Kinette activities in chapter organizations throughout British Columbia. Their support on the ride has been tremendous. On the right is Joyce Taylor our lead organizer
or GearUp4CF---->


This was the ride that I think I was fearing the most. Anarchist Pass, just outside Osoyoos city limits, has a seven to eight percent grade for well over 20 kilometers. This, and yet another major climb before approaching Grand Forks, is truly intimidating.

To make matters worse, it starts immediately on leaving town, so there's no chance to really work off your breakfast before hitting a big climb (hint: don't eat and jump on the bike to do the climb right away... you might lose your breakfast on the way up!). I had cycled down it in a reverse direction several years ago when we did a tour through the interior, and had found myself hitting the brakes frequently at sharp curves in the ends of the road. The steepness of the road was impressive. It is also a major trucking route, so the roar of heavy diesel engines coming up from behind and sounding air horns at close quarters is enough to give even the most seasoned cyclists a white knuckle experience.





<--The sharp, 3000 foot vertical rise in elevation is easily noticed. What is not quite so apparent is that we were facing strong headwinds during the second ascent, and even when descending rapidly into Grand Forks. For ride details, including a larger map, click here.





Stan at a viewpoint partway up the climb
out of Osoyoos-->




So, what was it really like?

Although the trucks were still on the road, blasting by and sounding their air horns, surprisingly, the ride was not bad as far as I was concerned. You see, I had been a bit strategic the day before. If you look at my riding stats in the detail link provided on my journal entry, you'll see my speed, time traveled was not much to
brag about. Basically, I dwandled, helping out some of the slower riders, which in itself is a rewarding experience. Perhaps it was good Karma as well. At any rate, I didn't blow my legs apart by riding fast over the rolling hills yesterday like some of the younger guys did. Several of them had to be carried up the hill today in a van, with blown knees (at least badly hurting ones) and pulled Achilles tendons. And it's just going to get worse tomorrow and the next day... more climbing. I sincerely hope they will be OK in the morning. They're great guys and are here for one additional reason to loving cycling... they are deeply committed to the CF cause. One of them has a child with CF.

The route today took us from the desert-like conditions in Osoyoos into sub-alpine forests with green grasses and forest flowers that appeared with a few kilometers of Anarchist pass. The rapid descent below Anarchist Pass was thrilling!

Chris, whipping past me at the bottom of the descent-->


<--A farm at the foot of the descent below Anarchist Pass.












Lunch was prepared by Joyce at a lovely park next to the Kettle River at Midway, a little town literally midway between Osoyoos and Grand Forks.













<--Historic buildings at Greenwood, an old mining community on the way to Grand Forks. The building on the left was built in 1899.






Old church
in Greenwood-->



What do you think about when riding for up to five to six hours? Focus on the road. Keep riding perfectly consistently so that others who are following close behind can trust your riding skills. Each pedal stroke takes some thought, if nothing else but to make sure all muscle groups are being used. Listen to a wide range of music, and let the mind wander to areas that might not be visited otherwise. This is the part that I enjoy the most. Time to think of my family, and my dear friends. Time to consider how fortunate I am to have life, health, love, and an opportunity, in some small way such as through this ride, to help make a difference. For, here I am, riding here in excellent health and fitness (injury-free, so far!!), at the same age, 52, that my mother passed away from cancer. I think about that. And then, I think of the CF children I met on day two, in Harrison Hot Springs, and the difficulties they face every day. It cannot help but reset priorities that one considers needs to be done. I didn't have an opportunity to speak today to Chris or James about the important work they are doing in CF research, but we will try to do so in the next day or so. I'll share what I learn here.

I've been receiving some wonderful email and Facebook messages during the ride, thank you!! Your support is making a huge difference. I often think of each of you on the ride. BTW, please feel free to comment in this blog using the "comments" section provided. Do you have any questions about the ride? I'll be happy to answer them, or else find someone involved with GearUp4CF, or CF research who can!

I'd better close off and get some rest, as we'll be getting an early start. Tomorrow is going to be another brutal climb, this time up to Rossland, near Trail, our next destination. There is no respite!! Please think of us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment