Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 2 - Harrison Hot Springs to Manning Park 127 km

We're just packing now, about to head out on the first real test, a 127 km ride into the mountains leading to Manning Park. Internet access may not be available in Manning Park, so I'll post an update as soon as I can.


UPDATE: June 22nd: I'm in Osoyoos now and finally have Internet access. Here are my notes from yesterday:

Well, yes, we made it. But it was a brutal introduction to the challenges that may be ahead . We started off riding together, with intentions to stay close together for the first 40 km. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way. The strongest cyclists quickly started putting distance between them and the somewhat slower riders. It was not long after leaving the hotel at Harrison that most of the riders were long gone. I stayed back to ride with Chris, Sherri and Susan.


Eventually, Chris rode ahead to catch up with the lead group. I did as well, and managed to take some great photos of some of the riders.


<--Trevor Hird








A long, wet road to Manning Park-->

I then fell back to ride with Sherri and Susan. We carried on, just as rain began to fall. I had been prepared for a few light showers, but it was not long before I realized it was turning to serious rain. Fortunately, my quick-install fenders were in the trailer of the support vehicle following us. These are important, not so much for myself (I can put up with a bit of rain!), but for the poor rider 'drafting' close behind me. I don't generally wear fenders on sunny days, but it is a MUST for group riding in rainy weather. So, I stopped to install them and quickly raced to catch up with my two cycling companions.





The ride quickly became a battle between us, the mountain and hypothermia, a real danger on this wet, highway.
But we slowed our pace, conserved energy, and with help from Tom, driving the support vehicle, we finally rolled into the Manning Park Resort, where we stayed in a rustic chalet nestled in the woods off the highway.
.




In all, we had climbed to a maximum elevation of 4,444 feet, with a total vertical ascent (after passing through valleys and climbing again) of 5,521 feet - over a mile - in just over 110 km. This would be impressive enough, however, it was also done in near continuous rain for practically the entire distance, and in temperatures that reached a low of 5 degrees Celsius as we neared Allison Pass.
<--- For more details of the route, including an enlarged map, click here.
Just before reaching the pass, and probably a result of the mind-numbing cold, I made an error in changing the gears, causing the chain to jam into the rear strut. In doing so, it tore off the metal protecting the carbon fibre stay running along the length of the chain. Thankfully, the carbon fibre frame itself was OK. Dripping with rain, I managed a temporary fix until I finally made it to the resort.

Dinner that night was huge helping of spaghetti, hosted by the Coquitlam Kinsmen. It was exactly what we needed. The only way we'll survive tomorrow is by stocking up on lots of carbohydrates. The hot tub never felt so good!

Tomorrow is an early start, as it will be the longest ride of the tour - 186 kilometers, from Manning Park to Osoyoos. We are all praying the weather will improve!

No comments:

Post a Comment