Monday, May 18, 2009

Training in earnest now

Well, we're quickly ramping up to the big ride in June. These past three Saturdays, I did 132, 136 and just over 100 km respectively, generally over a four to five hour ride.
Last weekend was not as much distance, however, it included a ride up Cypress Mountain and back, where the previous rides were out along flat country roads in Richmond. The road up Cypress is relentless, basically starting at sea level on Marine Drive up the hill on 14th avenue.


But it was such a rush coming down Cypress Mountain! The road was dry, and almost no wind... perfect conditions to get my lightweight bike really spinning, leaning into curves at 65 - 70 kph down the mountain. Along the way back home, I took a spin up Spanish Banks, and had a good stretch 41st.

One lesson to remember... make sure you have good brakes before trying it!

In addition to my long weekend rides, I'm working out nearly every day now. It's a small price to pay if it will ease the pain when we're averaging 120 km per day over ten days in mid June!











There's still snow near the top of Cypress
(taken just before my descent)

No comments:

Post a Comment