Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Welcome to my GearUp4CF 2009 Journal!


This Journal charts the preparations and the actual day-by-day account of a long trek that officially launched in February. It ended on June 29th, as we flew back from Calgary, with two major tasks being fulfilled.

The first task was to pump up air in my Trek 5200 bike and start pedaling on June 20th 2009 with my GearUp4CF friends, and keep pedaling, with a few stops to catch my breath and, hopefully some sleep, we reach Banff on June 28th, followed by a shuttle to Calgary and a flight home the next day. One thousand two hundred kilometers, in nine days. Was I crazy? I'm sure there were more than a few of you reading this that may have been asking themselves the same.

But I did not mentioned my second task, which was going to be a massive undertaking in its own right. I needed some help with that one, however. For this journey is all about raising awareness and funds for Cystic Fibrosis research and support through http://www.gearup4cf.org.


GearUp4CF is a major fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis here in British Columbia. I have lots of reasons to help participate in this. Yes, I love cycling. I've done some wonderful rides in the Colorado Rockies, and in the interior of British Columbia. If you are interested you can see some nice photos of these rides (and some AMAZING photos of how bicycles are used around the world) at
http://www.pbase.com/kmsvw/cycling .

However, the real reason, the one that motivated me to even consider something as arduous as this would be, was the memory of two very special people I have known who have had cystic fibrosis. One, who I knew for many years, died when she was a young adult. The other is a lovely child, the daughter of family friends, who is now ten years old and doing well through the tremendous support she receives from her family, the medical community in British Columbia and the work done by the Cystic Fibrosis foundation.

And yes, anyone who has seen my short 'bio' located at
http://www.gearup4cf.org will know, my wife is a physician at BC Children's Hospital who has led the drive for newborn screening for cystic fibrosis, with the goal of improving outcomes through early detection. And, by a remarkable coincidence, I did my own Ph.D. research a few years ago in a laboratory across the hall from that of David Speert, an equally passionate cyclist, and who also happens to be a world recognized CF researcher. I know, therefore, from first-hand experience, what research can do to help save the lives of children and young adults with cystic fibrosis.

And so, even though the ride is complete, I would still like to ask for your help, especially this year, to make supporting CF a priority for you. We simply cannot let the wild uncertainty in these economic times slow the work that must be done to find a cure. What a difference you can make. For my goal was not just to reach Banff. It was to help find a cure for CF, and do it soon. Our children and young adults who have cystic fibrosis cannot afford to wait. Please give your full support toward my goal to raise both awareness and important research funds for this vital cause.


Want to learn how? Just go to the GearUp4CF web site at http://www.gearup4cf.org. and make a secure, on-line donation right now. You'll have all the more reason to do so when you read this journal and see what had to be done to get this 52 year old body into shape for a 1200 kilometer cycling tour. And, if you think it was a worthwhile cause, your support just might encourage me to do take on this ordeal again next year!

P.S. There are lots of photos in my journal account below. Click on the photo itself, and it will display a larger version on your screen. Some of the photos during our ride to Banff simply must be seen this way.

BONUS: Even MORE photos, collectively submitted by participants on this ride, can be found at my supplemental photography web site, at http://www.pbase.com/kmsvw/gearup4cf2009

BTW, You can add future posts to your favorite web reader. Just click on one of the buttons below:


Add to Google Reader or Homepage

1 comment:

  1. hey stan, great work on your blog. you finished today it seems. congratulations on your amazing trip and thanks for supporting the cause. enjoy some r and r and hope you are feeling well. all the best, leah

    ReplyDelete